About the Program
Social Work Services are an integral part of the provision of health care at Hampton VAMC. These services provide help to veterans and their families in resolving the psychosocial, emotional and economic problems associated with the stresses of illness. Social Workers bring skills in individual, group and family treatment to the care of veteran patients as they move through admission, hospitalization and post-hospital care back into the community. Social Workers provide a major link between the VA health care system and the community through the development and utilization of community resources and services in support of established treatment goals for veterans and their families.
- Maximizing social and interpersonal functioning of patients
- Promoting vocational and social rehabilitation
- Providing education to patient s and interdisciplinary team members on the psychosocial impact of illness and disability
- Facilitating the patient’s return to the community at the highest level of functioning possible
- Working with terminally ill patients and bereaved families
- Developing special approaches to provide solutions to unique social problems
- Coordinating discharge planning, including providing information and referral services and accessing and coordinating community resources/services.
- Providing case management services
- Conducting behavioral mental health assessments, treatment plans and offer psychotherapeutic services
- Helping patients and families cope with the crisis of illness
Accessing Social Work Services
Social Work services are obtained through referral from medical providers.