Each month, the Hampton VA Medical Center Director invites Veterans to attend an open forum. The forum is an opportunity for Veterans to hear what is happening at the medical center and for them to provide input on what they feel would improve the health care experience for all Veterans.
Wednesday, November, 20 2013
• How can HVAMC improve the phone system at the hospital?
- We are constantly looking for ways to improve access. Recently, we began providing a “warm transfer” to callers to ensure they are getting the right person to answer their questions in a timely manner. We hope it helps.
• Is it a possibility to set up on MyHealtheVet to trade appointments among other Veterans if they cannot make their appointment?
- MyHealtheVet is a national web initiative and is constantly upgrading functionality. Hopefully this will be something added in the future.
• Can HVAMC have health education classes for Veterans about medical concerns and web based VA services.
- Veterans can use www.Myhealth.VA.gov it is an excellent resource to research different health conditions and much more.
• Can the hours of operation for the hospital be increased to accommodate the Veterans?
- Currently, Expanded Hour Clinics on the weekends and some weekday accommodate Veterans with difficult schedules.
• Discussion about how no-shows cause scheduling difficulties.
- Veterans need to keep appointments - No-shows only hurt others who could have used that appointment.
• Discussion about improving parking.
- Parking is a challenge. Veterans should know that there are multiple parking areas around the medical center (not just the outpatient parking area). There is a long range plan for parking that includes a parking garage (pending approval).
• Can HVAMC educate the faculty at local colleges about services available to student Veterans?
- HVAMC has an active outreach team. They work with local colleges trying to reach students and engage them about VA services – it is a great idea to include faculty.
• How to join the Veterans Advisory Council.
- If you are interested in participating in the council, contact Ms. Redick at ext. 1192 for an application.